Monday 2 March 2009

Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit

Wake with confused head & guts and taxi off to Panaji, Goa's capital. We land in hell's bus station and pay 100 rupees to get to the steamer jetty.Panaji is a fairly relaxed city and has it's share of traffic and other urban delights.I must recommend the 5 star Hotel Fidalgo.No I ain't won the lottery just go to the public restaurant Legacy of Bombay (veggie).The tastiest pizza,veg burger fries 2 chai in clean a/c luxury 175 rupees.We get a rickshaw to Sao Tome the old portuguese quarter.Its beautiful Mediterranean houses and narrow streets are a visual treat. I visit a Hero Honda dealer and see new models, Unicorn (monoshock) and CBR125 (watercooled).Why?India's mechanical simplicity fix-it and carry-on has served them well.Taxi to Margao and local bus home.In Margao bus stops and street sellers ply their trade through the open windows(feels like 90 deg on this bus).Woman in front buys oranges,Dave behind has some rapidly decaying cheese.A female beggar with baby approaches.She points at Oranges gets one and has Dave's cheese.I'm so wedged I can't get in me pockets..She returns asking for shampoo now and taps me again on arm.I ignore and get orange peel chucked at me,I'm boiling.
Return home and go out in Palolem to watch Lpool get beat.Dave is happy at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment