Sunday 8 March 2009

South Of The Border

Get up and buy presents for the lucky few.Dave is chilling so decide to make most of last day.I'm off south of state border into Karnataka down the N 17 coast road.Rip it and briefly hit 103 (wow) just to beat Dave's 100 and through the border post in a flash. Destination is Karwar, I go into the town and experience urban riding.Imagine a load of toy vehicles dropped in a food mixer... Back out to Karwar beach, an Indian doctor introduces himself offers his services and phone no. shakes hands and disappears.All in 30 seconds. Do I look like I need a doctor? Perhaps.
Return to border and they drop the barrier.I am summoned by two cops.These two clowns only know 2 words in English: "Documents" and "Fine". I have NO documents, either for the bike or myself.Ah, the infamous Baksheesh (bribe) . I act cool repeating "Yeah,kitnah paiseh?"(How much). I place 100, then 200 on the table -they want 500. I make play at only having 400 (£5.70) they take it -while the other 4000 stays in other pocket.I ride off at full speed nearly taking out the other border guide.Farewell jokers...
On the way home I take a detour to Galgibag and Talpona beaches, turtle protection beaches where there are no beach huts.Tranquil spots I note to visit next time.Have omelette bread and chai for 40 Rs on the street and explore all the back roads surrounding the inlet from the sea.See another Western biker parked enjoying the view -we nod.On the same wavelength, without a doubt.Head off for one last walk down Agonda beach,this is heaven.
Return home and give the Pulsar a pat on the tank,Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment