Sunday 22 March 2009

Bush Mechanics

What do folk think when they see a 40 summink guy pull a battered old bike from a van and zoom off into the woods? Not exactly sure but I don't think Steve McQueen or Brando is in the mix..I didn't exactly zoom either the chain came off as I bumped up the kerb.Remember the decent chain adjuster I didn't have? Yep wheel slackened off that side.Behind a couple of small trees I indulge in some "Bush Mechanics". I nick a 6mm nut off the mudguard place on the errant adjuster,then I bend it behind the end of the swingarm.As I'm tightening the spindle,I experience a fluorescent vision.Its Keystone's Finest. Great.I wait for the inevitable "You can't,You shouldn't etc" but they don't come back.Ring-A-Ding, I'm outta here.Into the woods and far away -amazed how big the trails are in this little wood (see photos).I encounter two groups one with dog,other with chainsaw(sounds like my KE!) both say "Ay,Up" so no problem there then.This is new riding territory but seems fine and is 5 mins from mine.Nice.A bit more bush mechanics are involved -bent lever etc but I spend a pleasant hour and a half zipping round the trees and the little bike pulls well.The suspension is absolutely shot at both ends and the tyres are grip free, but thats Ok when the back end steps out under,er,power! A play bike but at the very least I'll get £70 worth of fun out of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment