Monday 4 May 2009

90 PSI


The TS185 racebike after several phantom intermittent breakdowns (suspect crank seal) was treated to a bottom end stripdown and new mains & seals.Some issues with Piston supplies (Chinese -from a moral & quality viewpoint I returned it)meant it ended up with a 2nd hand top end,from a £7.50 Newark jumble engine.Well of course on completion it wouldn't start.Not for me,anyway...I took to a friend for some helicoils and his mighty swinging kick did the trick.I check the compression: 90 PSI."Oh, that's too low" is the advice. Out of curiousity I check the red TS185 which starts fine.Guess what? Yep,90 PSI! I put new rings in it,check the PSI, all together now "Nineteeeeeee PS Aye!".It's still not kicking up.I adjust the carb ever so slightly 8/9 kicks "Kapow Bang Smoke Wahoo!". It now goes 1st/2nd kick. Jumping Jesus...
So me and Dave (TS250) head off to Derby for a 'shakedown' test,which I half expect it to fail. Well 2 hours later I've ran it til out of fuel (kinda like a Sat afternoon as a 12 yr old) and had all the gears and not one problem.A great place to practise; plenty of space but a strange location.As we load the bikes we have Derby footy fans stream past us (Rams to the slaughter..Wolves eat em 3-2).I'm not sure which of us is staring more but I know one thing, I'm gonna go home happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment